Guided tour of the Butte-aux-Cailles

The Butte-aux-Cailles is a 63m high mound ; “Caille”, in French, means “quail”, but here this is not about birds, Caille is the surname of the spouses who bought the mound in the 16th century…

The mound started to be known because of an improvised event : the first inhabited hot-air balloon flight landed on its top in1783, after its famous passenger, Pilâtre de Rozier,recognized a familiar place, scattered by mills and wandered by the river Bièvre !

For a long time, it was located in the village of Gentilly ; but despite of the annexion by the capital in 1860, the district succeded to keep its typical atmosphere, far from the parisian bustle : cobblestone little streets, cottages with gardens, neighborhoods cafés-restaurants … yet not staying frozen in the past : street art belongs here now, many stencil works by Miss Tic decorate the walls.

On the programme : Little Alsace (and Little Russia), the river Bièvre and the frozen ponds, the artesian well, Sainte-Anne de la Butte-aux-Cailles church, cobblestone streets, and many other surprises.